The Silence from Loreto is Deafening

I want to thank all the people that have emailed me and responded to my blog. It is a wonderful way to keep in touch and I feel that everyone that takes the time to find out where I am is very much a good friend.

Janet wrote this morning to say that after battling water in the house all day, combined with her garden gate banging through the night because it was unable to be latched, plus the foot of water in the bedroom; she and her dog Lilly both finally freaked out and went to the INN where they got some peace and quiet at last. She woke up to grey skies but no wind or rain this morning. This was the last I heard from her at 6:40 am.

As many of you already know, internet and cell coverage has been down in Loreto all day. The roads are closed between Nopolo and Loreto and there is some confusion and limited damage. However, we must remain positive and remember that all our homes are insured and the people on the ground have our best interests at heart. Things are usually more dire on the news reports than they are when you are living through them. I am confident that the community in Nopolo is pulling together and working tirelessly to ensure that as many homes are attended to as possible in this period of unrest and uncertainty. We have much to be thankful for and particularly to the people on the ground that are doing no less than what I hope each of us would contribute for one another. This is the “vision” and what draws us to this very special place of the Baja.

As soon as the cell and internet are working, I will update you with photos and what is happening in Loreto. It may take a couple of weeks to assess any and all damage to the homes. Although I am no longer at Loreto Bay, I would ask for your patience as there are limited staff to attend to the numerous requests made.

In the meantime, as a course of diversion and not to trivialize what is happening in Loreto … I thought I would share some photos of Butchart Gardens in Victoria.

By 1908, reflecting their world travels, the Butcharts had created a Japanese Garden on the sea-side of their home. Later an Italian Garden was created on the site of their former tennis court, and a fine Rose Garden replaced a large kitchen vegetable patch in 1929.

The renown of Mrs. Butchart's gardening quickly spread. By the 1920s more than fifty thousand people came each year to see her creation. I would not be so bold as to guess how many visitors they now get as people travel the world to come and see the beautiful array of color all year round.

In a gesture toward all their visitors, the hospitable Butcharts christened their estate "Benvenuto", the Italian word for "Welcome".
These gardens are world famous and I never really appreciated the beauty until I lived in Phoenix and Loreto for a while. I love this photograph as it truly is one of the windows of my world.

Now the sight of amazing color and bouquets of flowers in the ground 5 feet high; together with the feel of lush green grass beneath my feet is a slice of heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog