Memories - Past, Present and Future

I am in a reflective mood and sharing my personal photo memories of Loreto with you. I no longer make New Year's Resolutions, but I do ponder destiny and my purpose with the beginning of each new year.

Merriam-Webster defines mem·o·ry as
1 a : the power or process of reproducing or recalling what has been learned and retained especially through associative mechanisms b : the store of things learned and retained from an organism's activity or experience as evidenced by modification of structure or behavior or by recall and recognition
2 a : commemorative remembrance b : the fact or condition of being remembered
3 a : a particular act of recall or recollection b : an image or impression of one that is remembered c : the time within which past events can be or are remembered
4 a : a device (as a chip) or a component of a device in which information especially for a computer can be inserted and stored and from which it may be extracted when wanted; especially : RAM b : capacity for storing information <512 megabytes of memory>
5 : a capacity for showing effects as the result of past treatment or for returning to a former condition -- used especially of a material (as metal or plastic)

It is interesting to me how much memories affect our everyday lives and future potential for happiness. Yet, we give them little more credence than things that should be put in a closet and only to be considered during times of unusual crisis or happy events. Our memories, whether real or exaggerated, often shape our fears, ambitions, and how we trust and interact with others. Have you ever been surprised that a child of 10 years will remember exact details of a birthday party at the age of 2? Whether those memories were of loving family or abandonment will shape their expectations and outlook on life and society in general. How many of us do not remember when our last vacation was? Is this because it has become trivial or is it that we choose to dismiss the event as unimportant? This is a study in itself and not for me to pontificate further.

I often joke that "I drink lots to kill off brain cells so that I can create more storage for memory" similar to a computer's RAM. There are so many details to remember in the present form that often we don't get a chance to reflect on past memories that will help shape our future. I am in Victoria now where I grew up and have enough memories to fill 10 novels. One day I may become a writer and share the incredible highs and lows of my life, but for now I quietly reflect on my experiences and the people who made a difference to my path in life... both good and bad. There were plenty of both in the extreme and because of them, I have the strength and stamina to walk away from the inherent duty and obligation that binds me, in order to create a new life in Mexico.

I have met with many good friends in Victoria this week that have stood by me through the years and who truly wish that I find the happiness that they feel I deserve. Victoria is a beautiful city filled with many good people. However, my life painting here is complete. Loreto offers me a brand new canvass, to create a legacy image that I can be proud of and share with others in the hope that it will provide some inspiration to all those that want it. Every experience is unique and relative to the individual and none of us can compare or judge one another. But to have the ability to accept and embrace each other's strengths and quirks is truly a gift of compassion and I find that the people of Loreto, both locals and foreigners have this innate desire.

This week has been filled with memories of the past, hundreds of "to do items" for the present, and thinking about where I want all of this to lead for the future. They have all become entwined into one large muddled mess. All I know is that I have stepped onto the conveyor belt of life and there is no way off. I can stop walking, but that will not change my path only delay the inevitable. I can run ahead but again, I will get there in good time by pacing myself. I hope that others will join me and make the journey worthwhile and interesting. There are numerous exits along the way but I am here for the long haul and it will be a good time.

I can not wait to get back to Loreto where there are blue skies every day and people wave to strangers in the street. Simple things amuse me like this mini electric ambulance that patrols the construction site at Loreto Bay. It actually had the words "Ambulance" written backwards on the front, and you will notice the little stretcher and red cross on the cart.

Entertaining friends in my home is one of my favorite passtimes and I look forward to doing it more often. Cooking is very relaxing and rewarding for me, and whereever I do it, there will be good food and wine, as well as great company. My kitchen in the office/bar should be ready when I get back next week, and I am thinking of having a special dinner at least once a month where my friends and I can share our culinary talents with those that appreciate a good home cooked meal.

We opened the bar and hotel on schedule, and tomorrow we are officially launching Baja BOSS. My staff have been working very hard on research, processes, and requirements for all your legal documentation and household needs to live and do business in Loreto. Our starting package is $300 USD per person, or $500 USD per couple which includes one hour with me to discuss your requirements and set your agenda. You will then get 10 hours with a driver/translator to accompany you to complete your immigration, banking, licencing, bill paying requirements. After the agenda is set and before you go out, you will be given a list of all the documentation you will require to effectively complete your transactions. We set realistic expectations and this is an efficient and stress free way to get "Legal in Loreto".

Another request that we keep getting is from people that are absentee home owners and not in the rental program. They would like someone to have their home cleaned and ready with standard groceries prior to their arrival. We are entertaining this idea, but do not want to interfere with the services offered by Loreto Bay Company. If you wish this or other related services, please send me an email at nellie@bajaboss.com and we will deal with these on an individual basis for the time being.

I also now have a Skype telephone number for all those with free computer calling in the USA. You can call me on your computer or regular phone at "bajabossloreto" or (858) 866 9308 which is my Skype number.

In the meantime, I look forward to lounging in the sun with cerveza in hand and hanging with good friends. Here's to making new memories and a fantastic 2007.

Cheers,
Miss Nellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog