Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England arrived in Newfoundland in 1578 and wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival in the New World. This means that the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Thanksgiving for Canadians is about giving thanks for the harvest season rather than the arrival of the pilgrims. It is celebrated with parades, family gatherings, pumpkin pie and a whole lot of turkey!

In order to work up an appetite for the massive feast, my friend Reham from Microsoft, Seattle, WA, came to visit and we explored Goldstream Park. The park is home to 600-year-old Douglas fir trees and western red cedar, mixed with western yew and hemlock, red alder, big leaf maple and black cottonwood.

It is very humbling being amongst these giant trees that have been here for centuries. These are very real and as I made my way into this hollow trunk, I was thinking how many other critters had been there before me?

I thought this was a wonderful sign and wanted to duplicate it for my home, indicating it was my safe haven to hibernate for the winter. Oops, I forgot, I now live in Loreto and no hibernation required. Oh well, it still would be nice to have a quiet zone.

My ex-boss from IBM Canada is Ted Button, and he has started Button Design Inc. which specializes in lamps and small furniture for space challenged environments. Specifically, these are urban dwellings in major centers that run $400 to $1000 per square foot, that can no longer accommodate our large antique furniture.

Their “Art of Living” contemporary line is a simple organic form that suggests both strength and elegance, combined with fun and color. For more information, check out their website at www.buttondesigninc.com and tell them Nellie sent you.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions for my hotel. It was very interesting that I was thinking of something Spanish that sounded romantic. However, almost all the suggestions came back in the form or variation of “Nellie’s Place” since that is what everyone would eventually call it anyways. So, for now, it will be known as Nellie’s Place until another name sticks.

This coming week will be very busy as I head to Phoenix tomorrow, Loreto on Tuesday, La Paz on Thursday, and some fun in Cabo on Friday. There is only one lane in Baja, so whether it is fast or slow really depends on the driver. I love the fact that there is no speed limit on the road or in life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog