Happy Thanksgiving in Loreto

I want to thank Jane Lurie for being my guest blogger last week. It is interesting to hear other’s prospective and adventures in Baja and I welcome everyone that would like to share a story to submit it to me with photos. I would like to have a guest blogger every 4 to 6 weeks to keep things fresh. Tell us about your favorite get away, shops, drive down the Baja, or general tips about living in Loreto.

It was so relaxing not having any work responsibilities and getting away from Loreto for a while. Bob Pendock and I made good use of our time in the Boardroom at LAX, while we sat back and enjoyed leather couches, carpets and decent wines in a totally dust free zone. Such simple pleasures! We met Pat and Carole from Portland Oregon, who had just purchased a home downtown Loreto. When I introduced myself, they already knew of me and it was as if we were good friends already. Loreto is such a great place!

There were many homeowners in town this week, and plenty of gatherings at different venues. I am enclosing photos of friends and neighbors getting together at Colette’s home for a large Thanksgiving gathering and of the Home Owners Party put on by Loreto Bay.

Thanksgiving is time to stop the frenzied pace we live, enjoy our friends and family with good food and wine. I can not believe all that my team has accomplished in one short year. Less than one year ago, we were still in massive renovation mode and planning how we were going to make BajaBOSS a household name in Loreto!

We have achieved great success and now it is time to take the bull by the horns and carve out our destiny in this obscure little place called Loreto. The last year I threw many balls into the air and was having fun juggling them all. Now, the audience has changed with the sub prime market and it is time for the tough to get going. Playtime is over and it has been a wild ride.

If you are not moving forward, then you are going backwards because it is impossible to remain in the same position. Many times in life we make endless excuses and throw obstacles in our path as to why we can not or should not make changes. I remember someone telling me that “People do not change until the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change.” I had to stop and think about this quite a bit, but it is so true. Our society, peer pressure, upbringing and achieving what we feel is expected of us is engrained into our life decisions and everyday subconscious choices.

Going back to the place I grew up reminded me of how far I have come and how many times I have thrown the dice to take a gamble on the unknown future instead of the one that I was raised to follow. I am not unique or courageous; I simply fear the predictable more than I do the unknown. “God save me from mediocrity!” There are many times in my life I have been in situations where it is unbearable to “stay the same” and therefore I have little fear of change.

My life is far from perfect and I have trying times with all the things that everyone does. Many times over the past few months I thought of taking the safe predictable road and coasting, or simply existing for a while. My friends all rallied around and counseled me that I would not last 3 months being in a gilded cage.

I have been extremely lucky to have had some awesome mentors in my life that believe in me. The qualities that they had first and foremost were their leadership abilities, integrity, compassion, and respect for others. The fact that they were highly successful in their personal and/or professional lives was secondary to what I learned from them.

I have made some tough decisions this week so that we can get focused and be ready to hit the ground running mid January. Business in Mexico and particularly Loreto starts to shut down by December 7 and does not start back up again until after January 7. I will be in Loreto and working during the holidays and look forward to visiting with all my friends.

Dorado Properties Loreto and BajaBOSS have exceeded my expectations in terms of building relationships, obtaining new clients, and the caliber of work we are now doing. These will be my primary focuses for next year and I am so excited about what we can achieve that I can barely stand it. Our success will be exponentially greater than it was this first year.

I made the decision to close Nellie’s Place Bar as it is too much for me to be available every night. There is too much drinking, late night partying, and it takes longer to recover with age. I will run it until November 30 as I believe we have the San Francisco Bay Loreto Home Owners Association visiting that night and I welcome everyone to join us. After December 1, it will be available to rent by the day for $150 USD which includes cleaning. We have a liquor license, so just bring your food and we can even order the beer at wholesale for your own private parties. My bartender Sergio wants the chance to run the bar and I will give him the opportunity. However, it is his business and I want no involvement or hassle derived from it being on my premises. We shall see how it works out. Quien Sabe!

Slowly over the next 6 months I will be renting some of my hotel rooms as offices. They are nicely decorated, have private bathrooms, air conditioning and wireless internet. It is a great space for consultants, architects, accountants, and other independent business people that want a nice office with full support services. I think we will always keep some hotel rooms as I truly enjoy running that part of my business for friends and clients.

Our 34’ Luhrs Sports Fishing boat is now available for Charters. It comfortably holds 6 people, includes lunch, beer and soft drinks. A full day of 7 hours is $800 USD and a 3 hour tour is $600. Discounts are available from now until January 31st, 2008, so email me at Nellie@BajaBOSS.com or come and see me to inquire as to dates. We can put people together to share the experience and costs during the upcoming holidays.

The newest announcement is that there is now English speaking AA meetings in Loreto Bay each week. With all the temptation and celebrating going on, it is comforting to know that there is a safe haven for those that seek it. Please contact Camille at 613 118 3918 or email camillek59@gmail.com for more information.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change;
the courage to change the things that I can;
and the Wisdom to know the difference.


This is a good theme for all of us. See you in Loreto!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog