Good Morning Singapore!   


I have travelled halfway around the world and now in Singapore, located One degree from the Equator.  I could not be further away from Loreto … geographically, culturally, and among culinary diversity.    My last visit to Singapore was over 30 years ago when it was a developing country with a grand vision for the future.   The social progress and geographical changes have been remarkable.   While there are the tall skyscrapers of any affluent city, there remains a wealth of historical treasures from the past, older buildings nestled between the maze of parks and glass towers.  I was impressed by the abundance of gardens, nature reserves and lush, tropical greenery. 

Public transportation is excellent, taxis/car ride services are easy and reasonably priced, and walking is the best way to explore any city.   I walk 10 to 15 miles a day … mostly to compensate for the constant temptation of delightful snacks at every turn.   I did my research and am lucky to have friends in the city.  Singapore is a very spendy place … where Crazy Rich Asians live and visit; with the number of restaurants and shopping malls called “retail therapy” are at every turn.  
I visited all the tourist attractions … which normally I don’t do, but it seems in Singapore, they were bigger, better and all reasonable priced and easy to get to.   Here’s a few of my favorites, and there are so many…

Gardens By the Bay is by far my favorite place, and I became obsessed with the Super Trees that range from 62’ to 160’ tall.   There is a wonderful light show to opera music in the evenings that is magically stunning … and I have seen a lot of light shows!   Located in the Marina area, I would visit this place several times to just sit and soak in the tranquility and beauty that is free for all to enjoy.   The Cloud and Flower Domes have a modest admission fee and well worth the visit if you have several hours to appreciate the serenity, smells and sights that excite the senses.  

The Marina Sands is more than a hotel, it is an architectural monument that is three 50 story towers, with the shape of a ship on top that can be seen from miles away.   In front there is the Esplanade walkway and River with nightly light/water shows; and behind there is the Gardens By the Bay and Sea.   We went up the 56th floor to have a drink at the Ce La Ve Bar … $30 for a cocktail; and $15 for fries, but well worth the admission to see the breathtaking views.   We were on the outdoor patio when we saw large black clouds coming at an alarming rate … and soon there was a downpour of rain that lasted about 30 minutes.  No problem, we just kept moving back and under cover … while some die hard fans (likely Canadians) sat in the rain and continued drinking!   The most memorable and often best times are the unplanned and unforeseen events.    

My favorite Food Markets were Maxwell’s in Chinatown, where often there is a long line for the Chicken & Rice made famous by Antony Bourdain.   All water is purified in Singapore and the markets are very clean no matter where you eat.   A good meal averages about $5; and don’t forget to try all the delicious fresh juices.   I had fresh squeezed sugar cane juice … refreshing and not as sweet as I thought it would be.

Also high on the list is Mankasutra Food Market in the Marina Bay area.   This is probably one of the most expensive Hawker Street food markets due to its location, and it is only open from 8 pm.   
All the dishes looked incredible, but with only so much appetite after a full day of indulgence … the smoked succulent pig from Meatsmith was a must.   Meatsmith, led by Chef Nicol Wong and his team, are part of the Michelin awarded Burnt Ends restaurant group headed by Dave Pynt.   Each morsel left me wanting more!  
There is so much more I want to share with you … but now I must continue my explorations and go for my daily walk-about to forage for delicious new treats!   See you next Sunday! 




Popular posts from this blog